This story is an element 2 of a two-part collection on the roles and construction of the Mumbai Police. Yow will discover Half 1 right here.
“The Mumbai Police is a strong and extremely organised unit of the Maharashtra Police. The funds allocation for Maharashtra Residence Affairs has elevated by 11% for the yr 2022, so it’s essential to study in regards to the obligations of police officers, to have the ability to maintain them accountable,” says retired ACP of Mumbai, Shirish Inamdar.
Because the inhabitants and space that falls below the Mumbai police jurisdiction, town police’s organisational construction has needed to evolve to maintain up with altering instances. It could look difficult on paper, however the Mumbai police do have an enviable fame as in comparison with the police drive of many different cities.
On the prime of the organisational construction of the Mumbai Police is the Commissioner of Police (CP), the commander in chief, so to talk, with whom all of the bucks cease. He’s concerned, together with the Director-Common and Inspector Common of police and the involved ministry, in policy-making regarding personnel, coaching and tools, provides and shops, monetary provisions required for the upkeep of the drive and the powers and duties of the assorted grades of officers in Mumbai.
Implementation of that coverage, nonetheless, is solely the commissioner’s duty.
The present police commissioner Sanjay Pandey was appointed on February twenty eighth, 2022. All the time an IPS officer, the commissioner is chosen by the Maharashtra authorities on the advice of the institution board which incorporates the Extra Chief Secretary of the Maharashtra Residence Division and different senior bureaucrats.
Reporting to him are 5 Joint Commissioners of Police (Jt. CP). Jt. CP Legislation and order, Jt. CP Administration, Jt. CP Crime, Jt. CP Financial offences wing (EOW), and Jt. CP Site visitors.
In March, CP Sanjay Pandey urged all 5 Joint commissioners and Extra Commissioners to be on night time obligation twice a month, to supervise operations across the metropolis. Earlier the Deputy Commissioners have been in-charge of night time obligation together with different Inspectors and sub-inspectors.
Learn extra: Preventing COVID-19 in Dharavi with only a face masks, Mumbai police will get a uncooked deal
Powers of the CP
- Below the arms act of 1959, the Commissioner of Police can grant or refuse arms licences.
- Below the prison process code of 1973, he can arrest individuals, disperse illegal meeting and take away public nuisances and authorise search and seizure.
- Below the Bombay police act of 1951, the CP can arrest and/or take away individuals who have dedicated an offence, or are about to commit an offence.
- Anybody who’s inflicting or is calculated to trigger hazard in a selected space, could also be banished by the CP or the district Justice of the Peace, till additional discover from the courtroom.
- Total upkeep of regulation and order and communal peace and concord in Mumbai.
The Extra Commissioners of Police, appointed by the state authorities on the advice of the police institution board, resolve all transfers, promotions and appointments and different service-related issues within the Mumbai Police drive. Every of them is in command of a selected zone or department, they usually have government powers in that zone/department within the absence of the commissioner. The Extra Commissioner works carefully with the Deputy Commissioner of their area.
The Deputy Commissioner is chargeable for the final supervision of the division below him/her and guides assistant commissioners (ACP). Assistant Commissioners are chargeable for the final self-discipline of the police stations below their cost for all prison investigations. They go to crime scenes and carefully supervise the police stations.
Roles and obligations of the site visitors division
In Mumbai, there’s a site visitors department headed by a Joint Commissioner, with three deputy commissioners (DCPs) below them. Identical to a police station’s jurisdiction is set area-wise, numerous elements of town are divided into totally different site visitors divisions. These site visitors divisions work out of smaller places of work. Town is split into twenty-five site visitors police zones, every headed by a Deputy Commissioner of Police. The Site visitors Police is a semi-autonomous physique below the Mumbai Police.
It’s the site visitors division’s duty to implement the Motor Car Act, to make sure secure actions of VIPs and preserve clean site visitors circulation, particularly throughout festivals, and handle inexperienced corridors for emergency organ transplants.
Instances of driving with out a licence or helmet, rushing, breaking the sign, using triple seat are documented each day within the native site visitors divisions and fines are levied on the spot. Police stations/chowkis additionally gather fines for towed automobiles within the space.
Nevertheless, circumstances of automobile accidents and rash or negligent driving are registered within the police station, as they’re crimes below the regulation.
The site visitors unit is split into 4 administrative sections – Site visitors headquarters, Site visitors Metropolis (South Mumbai), Site visitors Suburbs, and Japanese suburbs.
The site visitors headquarters is chargeable for coaching site visitors division personnel, planning, and managing the site visitors training institute. The site visitors coaching institute in Byculla conducts coaching for site visitors officers throughout Maharashtra – coaching topics embrace amassing statistics, learning site visitors patterns, and administration of site visitors (no entries/U turns and so on). The primary management room is situated on the headquarters as are the motor transport part, multimedia cell, and prosecution cell that levies fines and carries out car towing.
Site visitors Metropolis manages site visitors from Colaba to Wadala, the Suburban Site visitors unit controls Dahisar to Bandra site visitors, and the japanese suburbs unit controls site visitors from Mahim to Mankhurd within the Central East and Kurla to Mulund within the East. Every space has an in-charge Police Inspector and a number of site visitors Havaldars that guarantee clean site visitors circulation, and implement the regulation as and when guidelines are damaged.
Legislation and order
Below Joint Commissioner (Legislation & Order) there are 5 regional Extra Commissioners, who supervise 13 zonal DCPs, 41 divisional ACPs and 93 Senior Police Inspectors. The Inspectors are chargeable for crime of their police station’s jurisdiction.
Extra commissioner of Safety and Safety supervises the 4 DCPs in command of Safety, Safety, Mantralaya Safety, and Fast Response Group (QRT) respectively. The Extra Commissioner’s official rank can also be titled Deputy Inspector Common of Police. It’s the duty of the Extra commissioner to personally examine the effectivity and self-discipline of the police drive.
There’s one ACP below DCPs of Safety, QRT, and Mantralaya safety and 6 ACPs below DCP of Safety.
Extra commissioner of Particular Department (SB), heads two DCPs, below whom are seven ACPs. All of them collectively run the 2 particular branches of Mumbai SB-1 and SB-2. SB-1 is used to get details about anti-national components working in any a part of Maharashtra, and SB-2 is in command of the general supervision of airports, seaports and Foreigners Registration Workplace’s (FRRO) officers for clearing the verification of the passport candidates.
There’s one DCP of operations, below whom there may be one ACP of Mediation and Conciliation Report who seems on the Net cell, Tech cell and the SMS cell. There’s additionally an ACP coordinator below the DCP of operations. DCP of Operations is in command of offering manpower to understaffed police stations. In addition they construct a particular squad of police personnel for blockades and interventions in case of a extreme risk to town – like terrorist assaults and underworld crimes. The ACP assists with these operations.
The Mumbai police’s Crime department is centralised and exists in each commissionerate.
A police station is an independently empowered physique. However when the crime has citywide ramifications and falls below a couple of police station, the case is transferred to the crime department situated within the Mumbai Police headquarters. The choice to switch a selected case to the crime department is taken by the involved DCP zone, in session with the Extra Commissioner and their counterpart within the crime department.
Below the Joint commissioner, Crime, there may be an Extra commissioner, who heads the seven DCPs of every unit of the crime division, specifically Detection, Detection-1, Enforcement, Preventive, Anti-Narcotics cell (ANC), Crime in opposition to Girls (CAW), and cybercrime.
This unit is total in-charge of C.A.W. Items (I,II) and Counselling Cell, in addition to Division of Girls and Youngster Improvement. The assorted models below the crime department and their obligations are as follows.
- Detection department – Monitoring the investigation of significant crime and formulating new methods for combating organised crime.
- Preventive department – This department retains data of these arrested and convicted for various crimes. The data are categorized based mostly on the modus-operandi of criminals.
- Cybercrime department – Offers with the investigation of web site hacking, cyberstalking, cyber pornography, e-mail, bank card frauds, software program piracy, on-line frauds and web crime.
- Anti Narcotics Cell (ANC) – This unit initiates motion in opposition to individuals who manufacture, transport, possesses, and promote narcotics medication, a psychotropic substance like Heroin, Morphine, Ganja, Charas, Cannabis oil, Cocaine, Mephedrone, LSD, Ketamine, Amphetamine and others substances below NDPS Act 1985.
- Crimes Towards Girls – The Authorities of Maharashtra has initiated a particular cell to register complaints and examine crimes in opposition to girls and kids in all police stations in Mumbai, with the coordinating workplace situated within the Tata Institute of Social Sciences. The collaboration of TISS facilitates a coordinated, multi-agency response to problems with crimes in opposition to girls.
Now there’s a Nirbhaya police officer, all the time a lady, at each police station who’s in command of the ladies’s cell and appears solely at crimes in opposition to girls.
As well as, there’s a central social service cell below the crime department, which takes care of girls’s safety, security, home violence, sexual harassment at office and different crimes in opposition to girls.
- DCP Detection – Handles Crime unit 1-5 – extortion cell, Crime intelligence unit (CIU), property cell, Particular Operations Squad (SOS), Motor Car theft and so on.
- DCP Detection-1 – Handles Crime unit 6-12 – Anti Dacoity theft cell, antichain-snatching and so on.
- DCP Enforcement – In command of Anti Trafficking, theft cells, antichain-snatching and so on
- DCP Preventive – Handles Crime pc cell, Nationwide Human Rights Fee (NHRC), Court docket cell, Atrocity cell and so on.
- DCP ANC – Supervises 5 models of ANC together with manufacture, transport, possession, and sale of narcotics
- DCP CAW – In cost crimes in opposition to girls cell and counselling
- DCP cyber crime – Works with the cyber admin
Financial Offences Wing (EOW)
Financial offences have a large definition, and can’t be restricted to corruption. The EOW seems at housing feuds, common dishonest, RTIs for private and non-private improvement, job racketing, share transactions, Maharashtra Safety of Curiosity of Depositors (MPID), Banking, Faux forex, tax evasion, cash laundering refund cell, gross sales tax, and mental property rights amongst different financial offences.
The wing is a subdivision of the Crime Investigation Division (CID), which is a subdivision of the Indian State Police. Mumbai has its impartial EOW within the Mumbai Police headquarters, and therefore it involves the CP first, earlier than it’s forwarded to the CID headquarters in Pune.
Instances like financial institution frauds, society frauds, chit funds needn’t come to the police stations and could also be straight transferred to the economics offences wing, as police stations aren’t outfitted with the experience to take care of such circumstances. The EOW wing is an independently functioning unit within the Mumbai Police.
Transferring a case to the upper department ought to ideally be carried out in lower than two days of the crime being reported. The Code of Felony Process is strictly timelined, in order that the police are answerable for each single minute, as soon as a case is registered.
- EOW runs investigations into the circumstances of fraud, misrepresentation, and dishonest in numerous departments, as talked about above, organisations, and establishments of presidency.
- The State Authorities appoints the EOW to deal with circumstances regarding monetary frauds from any personal entity, from people to corporations and firms, relying on the extent of an offence performed. Presently they solely probe circumstances the place scams of Rs 10 crore or extra have been dedicated.
- EOW additionally seems into the circumstances of suspicious Authorities income and if in any case of loss has occurred, it alerts the federal government to take acceptable follow-up actions.
- Instances involving non-banking monetary corporations, chit fund scams, pretend stamp papers, multi stage advertising and marketing schemes, ponzi schemes, and so on.
The way forward for course will maintain totally different challenges. How the organisational construction evolves to take care of them stays to be seen.
This explainer is a part of a collection on ‘Explainers and Data Sources for Mumbaikars’ supported by a grant from the A.T.E. Chandra Basis.